Raven Help Forum  

Go Back   Raven Help Forum > Raven Pro > Raven - Help and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2017, 07:56 PM

Question Workspaces won't open

Hi all,

I'm having a lot of trouble with workspaces. I'm using Raven Pro on two PCs and the data I read are local copies of files stored on Google Drive.

On my desktop, workspaces won't open whatsoever. I can create and save them, but they won't open again. Raven just freezes up.

On my SurfaceBook, I can open workspaces that I have created on that machine, but not ones I have created on the desktop machine. This is true even once I've resolved the location of the files (since the pathway to the Google drive folder is slightly different between the 2 machines).

This problem persists even for relatively small files.. e.g. only 30 seconds of audio with maybe 10 selections.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Dani
Old 12-22-2017, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Workspaces won't open

Hi Dani,

This sounds like a tech support issue. I would suggest emailing raven_support@cornell.edu with the following information.

1. What operating system you have (including version).

2. What version of Raven you have. (Select "About Raven" from the "Help" menu, and report the top four lines on the right side.)

3. A very detailed description of the problem. Screen shots can be very helpful.

4. Attach a Raven workspace that is not working.

-Mike
Old 01-05-2018, 06:53 AM

My two cents:
Instead of keeping the information together in a single file that you can copy to another computer, Raven stores the sound recording, selection table, sound window, clips, settings etc. all in different files at different locations on your computer. There are literally dozens of files and directories involved.
Typically the information is stored in a subdirectory of the Raven installation directory
C:\users\{your user name}\Raven Pro 1.5\ ......
Some but not all of the default subdirectory locations are stored in the RavenPreferences.txt file.
E.g. there is a default directory for saving sound files, but this is not the same as the default directory for the sound recorder. The latter seems to be missing from the preferences, but the environment will reload that.

The Raven workspace .WSP file stores the entire path and file name of the sound recordings and selection tables for each of the open sound windows.
If you want to copy the workspace to another computer, you must also copy the rest of the files to an exact matching location. This is impossible if your windows setup/log-in user name differs on both computers. Other user names are usually read/write protected.
You could set the directories to a convenient location on the C: disk, but be careful
If one of the files is out of place, Raven may crash.

My tip is to just copy the sound files (.WAV or .AIFF + .TXT in case of a file sequence) and the matching selection table .TXT file.
Recreate the Raven sound window on the new computer and save it using
view / window preset / save ...
Alternatively copy the appropriate set-up file from
C:\Users\{your user name}\Raven Pro 1.5\Presets\Sound Window to a matching location on the new computer.
Open the sound file with the new preset. Next open the selection table.

regards Femme
Old 01-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Verbeek View Post
My two cents:
Instead of keeping the information together in a single file that you can copy to another computer, Raven stores the sound recording, selection table, sound window, clips, settings etc. all in different files at different locations on your computer. There are literally dozens of files and directories involved.
Typically the information is stored in a subdirectory of the Raven installation directory
C:\users\{your user name}\Raven Pro 1.5\ ......
Some but not all of the default subdirectory locations are stored in the RavenPreferences.txt file.
E.g. there is a default directory for saving sound files, but this is not the same as the default directory for the sound recorder. The latter seems to be missing from the preferences, but the environment will reload that.

The Raven workspace .WSP file stores the entire path and file name of the sound recordings and selection tables for each of the open sound windows.
If you want to copy the workspace to another computer, you must also copy the rest of the files to an exact matching location. This is impossible if your windows setup/log-in user name differs on both computers. Other user names are usually read/write protected.
You could set the directories to a convenient location on the C: disk, but be careful
If one of the files is out of place, Raven may crash.

My tip is to just copy the sound files (.WAV or .AIFF + .TXT in case of a file sequence) and the matching selection table .TXT file.
Recreate the Raven sound window on the new computer and save it using
view / window preset / save ...
Alternatively copy the appropriate set-up file from
C:\Users\{your user name}\Raven Pro 1.5\Presets\Sound Window to a matching location on the new computer.
Open the sound file with the new preset. Next open the selection table.

regards Femme
Hi Femme,

You give some excellent tips about how to use Raven presets. I will pass your suggestions for simplifying presets on to the developers.

-Mike