- In the Raven Downloads page, click on the entry in the "Mac OS X" column corresponding to the version of Raven you want to install.
- Use Finder to open your Downloads folder. Double-click on the file you just downloaded to mount disk image.
- In Finder, click on Raven under devices in the left sidebar.A window should open with a Raven folder in it and the "Applications" folder.
- Drag and drop the Raven folder into the “Applications” folder.
- Open the “Applications” folder in Finder, and right-click “Get Info” on the Raven folder. Set permission to “Read & Write” in the “Sharing and Permissions” section.
- Delete the Raven installer you downloaded from our website, which should still be in your Downloads folder. Getting rid of the download now will help prevent you from accidentally trying to run Raven from the installer.
- In the Raven folder in "Applications", double-click on the Raven application file to launch Raven. (The exact name of the Raven application file depends on what version of Raven you installed.)
- The warning about QuickTime is normal for OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) and OS X 10.11 (El Capitan). For more details, go to Why won't Raven play my MP3 or video files?
- The first time you try to launch Raven, you should see a message saying that you need to download and install legacy Java 6 for Raven to run. Click on the button in the notification window to go to the download site. If for any reason Raven doesn’t take you to the download page, use a web browser to go to: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572. Even if you already have Java 6, reinstalling it now will insure you have the most recent version.
- On that page click the blue Download button, which will download a disk image called 'JavaForOSX2014-001.dmg'. When that file finishes downloading, double-click it, which will mount the disk image and open a Finder window containing the installation package, called 'JavaForOSX.pkg'. Double-click to install and follow the instructions; if you are offered any options (e.g., where to do the installation), just use the defaults.
- Once Java is installed, launch Raven. The first time you launch Raven you may see a message saying that your security preferences prevent Raven from running because it wasn't downloaded from the App Store. If this happens, simply right-click (control-click) on the Raven icon and choose Open from the menu (instead of just double-clicking the Raven icon). This will present a dialog in which you can confirm you really do want to open it. (You have to do this only the first time Raven runs.)
- Once Raven launches, you will be prompted for a license registration key. If you do not yet have a license registration key, you can have one emailed to you by ordering Raven from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology E-Store.
Optional: right-click (control-click) on the Raven application file, and select “Make Alias” from the menu. Drag and drop alias to desktop.
Note: OS X may require that you uninstall Java 8 before installing legacy Java 6. If you need Java 8, you can reinstall it from https://www.java.com/verify/
using Safari or Firefox after you finish installing legacy Java 6.
Note: If you have problems with the installation or licensing, please email email@example.com