Raven Help Forum  

Go Back   Raven Help Forum > Raven Pro > Raven - Help and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2017, 11:49 PM

Default Extracting spectrogram measurements when using the Batch Amplitude Detector

Hi

I'm using Raven Pro 1.5 to differentiate between bat social vocalizations. I'm using the Amplitude Detector to find all calls in my sound files and then extracting spectrogram measurements, which I use later to differentiate between call element types. This process all works perfectly when I have the sound window open in Raven but when I run the Amplitude Detector in batch, raven will only output waveform measurements and not spectrogram measurements. Is there a way that I can get it to output the spectrogram parameters when running the batch Amplitude Detector?

I have tried the Band Limited Energy Detector but the Amplitude Detector works much better on my sound files.

Thanks for your help,
Nicola
Old 03-23-2017, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Extracting spectrogram measurements when using the Batch Amplitude Detector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolaHan View Post
Hi

I'm using Raven Pro 1.5 to differentiate between bat social vocalizations. I'm using the Amplitude Detector to find all calls in my sound files and then extracting spectrogram measurements, which I use later to differentiate between call element types. This process all works perfectly when I have the sound window open in Raven but when I run the Amplitude Detector in batch, raven will only output waveform measurements and not spectrogram measurements. Is there a way that I can get it to output the spectrogram parameters when running the batch Amplitude Detector?

I have tried the Band Limited Energy Detector but the Amplitude Detector works much better on my sound files.

Thanks for your help,
Nicola
Hi Nicola,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with automated sound detection in Raven Pro 1.5

1. Set up your sound view the way you want it, including any measurements you want to use.

2. Save a Window Preset, as described on pages 71 - 74 of the Raven Pro Users' Manual.

3. Open RavenPreferences.txt by selecting "Preferences" from the "Edit" menu.

4. Remove the hash mark from the following line, and change "Default" to the name of your preset.

# raven.preset.soundWindow.defaultPreset=Default

For example, if your window preset is named "test", use

raven.preset.soundWindow.defaultPreset=test

5. Save RavenPreferences.txt, and restart Raven.

Let me know how it goes!

-Mike
Old 03-24-2017, 02:08 AM

Default Re: Extracting spectrogram measurements when using the Batch Amplitude Detector

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for your quick reply.

I made sure that raven.preset.soundWindow.defaultPreset=Default was uncommented and changed it to my window preset- raven.preset.soundWindow.defaultPreset=gb170323. The text files produced by the batch amp detector only showed the default measurements.

I made a preset for MeasurementsList (gb) and in RavenPreferences.txt uncommented the line raven.preset.measurementList.defaultPreset=Default and changed it to raven.preset.measurementList.defaultPreset=gb. The batch amplitude detector then produces text files that include the headings for all the correct measurements but no values for those which are calculated from the spectrogram. Measurements calculated using the waveform are all there. I can send a txt file if that might help. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Nicola
Old 03-24-2017, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolaHan View Post
Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for your quick reply.

I made sure that raven.preset.soundWindow.defaultPreset=Default was uncommented and changed it to my window preset- raven.preset.soundWindow.defaultPreset=gb170323. The text files produced by the batch amp detector only showed the default measurements.

I made a preset for MeasurementsList (gb) and in RavenPreferences.txt uncommented the line raven.preset.measurementList.defaultPreset=Default and changed it to raven.preset.measurementList.defaultPreset=gb. The batch amplitude detector then produces text files that include the headings for all the correct measurements but no values for those which are calculated from the spectrogram. Measurements calculated using the waveform are all there. I can send a txt file if that might help. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Nicola

Hi Nicola,

My bad. It appears that the Amplitude Detector does not calculate a spectrogram, and so is unable to make spectrogram measurements. This is inconvenient for your workflow, but undoubtedly helps the detector run faster.

I can think of two ways forward for you. One would be to run the Amplitude Detector, allowing the spectrogram measurement values to remain blank. Then open them up in Raven, and the values would automatically appear.

Another alternative would be to optimize the Band Limited Energy Detector (BLED). If you'd like to receive a couple of BLED tips documents, please email your request to raven_support@cornell.edu. The files are too big to attach to this Forum.

-Mike